Focus points Family Resource Center Leadership Opportunity: Executive Director
Focus Points Family Resource Center seeks a leader who will bring to the position of Executive Director a high
degree of energy, integrity and creativity as well as the analytical, organizational and personal qualities that will
garner respect and cooperation from the Focus Points staff, Board of Directors, community partners and other
stakeholders. Read on to see if you are ready to apply!
Who We Are and What We Do:
For over 22 years, Focus Points has worked successfully to transform the lives of low-income and working families in Northeast Denver and beyond. The mission of Focus Points is to help build better communities by strengthening families.
Approximately fifty staff members serve over 1,500 families each year, most of whom are Spanish-speaking immigrants.
Focus Points is committed to:
· School readiness programs to open doors to future success;
· Family literacy and adult self-reliance programs to facilitate independence;
· Healthy living and health access programs to promote active, vibrant living;
· Parent engagement and community leadership to foster empowerment; and
· Economic and workforce training and development to support financial independence and community stability.
Focus Points understands the many challenges families face when working to achieve educational and economic goals. It
is this understanding, combined with community input, which serves as the basis for the organization’s array of strengthbased,
wrap-around programs. In a child care desert, early childhood education services include in-home family literacy
programs, a free Montessori-inspired preschool and quality care for children of parents participating in Focus Points’
classes. Parenting, healthy relationship and mental health services assist couples and families in developing habits, skills
and greater awareness that lead to stronger families. Access to Adult Education and English Language Acquisition
programs is supported by offering low-cost classes and free childcare at various locations and varied times of day as well
as having the Focus Points’ bus made available to transport students to and from class. The organization’s Family
Development and Workforce Specialists provide case management as well as soft skill job training. As part of the
Economic and Workforce program, Focus Points launched its first social enterprise in 2016: Comal, a heritage food
business incubator, offering on-the-job training while simultaneously allowing participants to earn an income.
Focus Points Family Resource Center is a strong, growing, multi-programmed nonprofit. The successful candidate will
oversee a complex organization of programs, services, and community work, as well as the functional areas of financial,
fund development, facilities, and human resources management.
Required – Applicants must meet these qualifications to be considered
· Previous employment in a nonprofit organization as the executive director or other leadership position
· A minimum of seven years administrative and staff management experience
· A high level of cultural competence, developed through direct experience working with diverse, multi-cultural, lowincome
· Financial acumen; experience creating and managing budgets, understand and analyze financial reports, other
financial management tasks
· Understanding of the fund development process, with a track record of fundraising experience and success
· Demonstrated ability to address problems – whether with staff or within the community – with a fair and just attitude,
while putting one’s personal feelings aside
· Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with the ability to be clear and transparent with people at all levels
in the organization
· Sincere listener who considers other’s input in making decisions
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or commensurate experience (Master’s degree preferred)
· Bilingual proficiency in English and Spanish
· Passion for the mission, with a visionary attitude
· Knowledge about the communities served by Focus Points
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities That We Are Looking For:
· Open-minded, flexible
· A team builder who is able to motivate and inspire staff
· Empathetic, compassionate
· Proven ability to develop and manage programs/services that meet the needs of the population served
· Experience in conflict resolution
· Experience developing, managing, and implementing strategic plans
· Commitment to a family development model emphasizing assets in each person and family
· Ability to develop collaborations and partnerships with a wide range of governmental and nonprofit entities
Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all Executive Director responsibilities.
Board Development and Support
· Proactively ensure that the board is kept informed in a timely manner on the condition of the organization and every important factor influencing it
· Assist in the identification, recruitment and orientation of board members
· Assist the board of directors in their fiscal, fiduciary, legal and programmatic decision-making through providing
· Work with the Board of Directors in developing strategic plans for the short, mid, and long-term development and
sustainability of the organization
Program Development and Management
· Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs, services, special projects and other stated outcomes
· With Chief Operating Officer/Director of Programs, develop, maintain, and strengthen new programs as needed
· Stay current in working knowledge and significant developments and trends in disciplines related to services/programs
Administration and Human Resource Management
· Promotes good morale, a sense of staff camaraderie, passion for the mission, cooperation, open and frequent
communication, teamwork, a common organizational vision, and a motivated and positive organizational culture.
· Provide leadership and management of the organization to execute strategic and organizational plans with staff
· Support and supervise management team and their specific program areas, including Chief Operating Officer/Director
of Programs; Adult Education Director; Director of Economic and Workforce Development; Director of Development; Accountant/HR Administrator; and Facilities Manager.
· Oversee Human Resources including hiring process, annual professional evaluations, goal setting, professional
development, policies and procedures, employee handbook, conflict resolution, and new hire orientation.
· Develop annual budget for board approval and wisely manage resources within guidelines
· Assure adequate control and accounting of all funds, including developing and maintaining sound financial practices for managing multiple sources of income.
· Oversee maintenance of official records and documents and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local
regulations and reporting requirements (such as annual information returns; payroll withholding and reporting, etc.).
· Execute and maintain legal documents appropriately
· Negotiate and administer contracts, agreements, memoranda of understanding with funders and partners
· Provide leadership with fund development team for fundraising efforts and special events
· Create and maintain relationships with funders, funding intermediaries, and other service providers
· With Director of Development, work with Board to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan
· Be an advocate, ambassador and representative of Focus Points in the community and among supporters and
· Support community leadership development, community organizing, and advocacy as needed to address larger
· Plan and manage strategic organizational and geographic expansion
· Ensure all components of Colorado Family Resource Center Association membership are in compliance
What You Can Expect
The opportunity to use the sum of your life’s experience and knowledge to capitalize on the accomplishments of Focus
Points Family Resource Center and foster its continued development as a leader in transforming the lives of lowincome
and working families
Leading a successful nonprofit organization that is deeply anchored in the community it serves
Being inspired by the way in which Focus Points works collaboratively with a multitude of entities, in order to meet the
needs of the community
Leading a diverse, multi-lingual staff that is smart, passionate and committed to the mission
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary will be commensurate with experience, in the range of $85,000 to $95,000.
Focus Points offers a generous benefits package including health insurance, long- and short-term disability, life, and
dental insurance; generous paid time off; FMLA and other need-based leave.
By Midnight, Sunday, February 25, 2018, please forward, via email, your cover letter (addressing how you meet
Required, Preferred and Other Qualifications) and resume to our transition consultant, Christine Soto, at
information must be received via email – no hard copies will be accepted. No phone calls, please.
Focus Points Family Resource Center values diversity and inclusiveness and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information, please visit www.focuspoints.org